
I am as of today 6 weeks pregnant. My due date is June 1 2009. That’s a nice date I think. Here’s how the whole thing went down.
Wednesday 11:15 am: So it started with my thyroid, or so I thought. I went to see the doctor to find a reason why my body was so run down and tired. Seriously, all I wanted to do was sleep. I was tired when I woke up and tired when I got to work, and tired….well, you get the idea. So I go to the doctor and he sends me for blood work. While filling out the requisition he asks if I could be pregnant. I was 3 days late, but had been having cramps and thought my period was coming any minute. He threw in a pregnancy test just for the hell of it…how sneaky!
Friday morning 5:00 am: Paul and I both wake up at the same time. I am not scheduled to wake up until at least 7:00, and given the amount of sleep I have needed the last couple of weeks, no one is more surprised than me that I am awake. I ask Paul to drive to me to Wal-Mart to find something for my cough/cold that has suddenly made its entrance into my world. While at Wal-Mart I am told that they do not sell cough and cold pills at this hour in the morning, because you can make crystal meth out of them. That’s what she said to me. Like meth lab creators can’t find the cough and cold medicine any other time of the day. They crave it at 5 am. ANYWAY…I walked past the pregnancy tests, picked one up and bought that instead.
Friday morning 5:30 am: I come out of the bathroom in a towel, to the very unsuspecting husband making his lunch in the kitchen and say…”It says I’m pregnant.” Not “I’m pregnant”, not “I’m with child” or even “You knocked me up”…..”It says I’m pregnant”; because even then I didn’t believe it. In short, we laughed until we cried in the kithcen with Patch looking on like he was living with a couple of lunatics!
Friday 2:00 pm – I take two more tests, just to be sure. Both are positive. I take a 4 hour nap.
Friday 6:15 pm – I can wait no longer. I call Buchans to tell mom and dad. They put me on speaker phone at the cabin and afterwards there is a 2-beat pause….then screaming and a lot of crying and maybe one “Sacred Heart of Jesus” from Joanie. It was literally, the best feeling I have ever had in my entire life. We could not be happier. Paul tells his entire family that evening, even though we were going to just tell his parents. It’s a good present for Nicola’s 10th birthday, and Stephen reminds me he always has Friday’s off. I make a note.
Monday 9:15 am – My doctor confirms it; the blood test results say I’m 5 weeks pregnant. I start to cry in the car on the way back to work, overwhelmed by emotion. I cannot believe it’s happening. We have a long road ahead.
Everything is going well so far. My cold is gone, but the cough remains. I am tired still - all the time. According to the experts in the Week-by-Week book, my sudden craving for a nap is caused by the newly raised levels of progesterone. This female hormone helps to regulate your reproductive cycle. The presence of progesterone can make a normal day at work seem as taxing as running a marathon; you may be so worn out that you may even think you're coming down with the flu. That's me, expect I did have the flu and I'm still tired! Once I wake up in the morning, I pee for oh - about 3 minutes. Seems I’m so soundly asleep I can’t wake to pee in the middle of the night. According to popular belief, that will change. Fantastic. During the day I’m drinking a shit load of water, which keeps me in the bathroom more often than before. People are starting to take notice. I might just move my desk in there. I’m also not smoking, which is the hardest part of all. Not hard in that I want to smoke and harm my unborn child, but hard because I’m addicted, and like any addiction, the cravings are bad and the irritability level is high. But it’s not worth it and I have a feeling if I had one right now I would puke or faint anyway.
We are very excited about this new and exciting time in our lives, and cannot wait to share this journey with those we love. Bringing a child into our family is something we’ve always talked about and now that it’s happening it’s very scary but in a good way. I know it’s going to be hard, I know it’s not going to always be fun but when I think of what we get in the end? Can’t fricking wait!!
No comments:
Post a Comment