Wednesday, November 01, 2006

OCD

I suffer from OCD. Not Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, although I do check that the oven is off at least 5 times before leaving the house.No, the OCD I have stands for Only Child Syndrome. Some may say that I am not a typical only child. I don't have the typical only child-ness that others may have. That is because of my huge extended family of cousins and family friends in my age group. I don't ever remember being lonely as a kid, and actually remembering being pretty happy that all these people would come over and play (and than go home!)But, there are some characteristics that I'm sure are affected by OCD that I have and cannot rid myself of.
#1 - I don't like to share. Don't ask me for a sip of my drink, a bite of my food. I never get a good nights sleep when sharing a bed with anyone but Paul (hence why the green room at Casa Duhart was all mine).
#2 - I like to be alone. I need time alone. I love to wake up and not see or speak to anyone for 30 minutes. That might have more to do with my family tree of non-morning people, but still. I can go a whole weekend without leaving the house and I like that every once in a while.
#3 - I do not have poor social skills (aside from what #2 might say about me). I would talk to a fencepost if no one else would listen
#4 - I am spoiled. Yes, yes I am. I do however think that has less to do with being an only child and more to do with the parents I have. They spoil their neices and nephews and give more to people who may not necessarily deserve it that I can count. I don't pout when I don't get something I want, I had a job all through High School and University, when I didn't HAVE to work. But, when they slip a $20 in my pocket though, what I am I to do!!
#5 - I am close to my parents. They say that as being an only child I may have a closer, more affectionate relationships with them than other kids with siblings. If that it true, than it is an attribute of mine. I feel bad if I don't see them as much as I think I should. I worry about them, I felt guily when I moved out, I have to talk to my mom every day.That being said, everyone in my extended family (who ALL have siblings) is like that in some way. We are a close family, like it or not sometimes. Guaranteed if I had a brother or a sister, or if I had 7 of them, I'd still have to call my mom everyday.
When I was in Grade 1, Mrs. Murphy asked us to draw a picture of our houses and point out the rooms to the class. I did, and pointed out my room, mommy's room and...my brothers room.I don't remember ever wanting a brother, but there it is on construction paper with crayola Crayons. Maybe it would have been nice to have a sibling...nah, then I'd have to share!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about when we stayed at Nan's 2 summers ago? There were 3 bedrooms and we both slept in the same bed? Though, I'm sure the night caps helped you sleep.
I think you only have the OCD you're talking about if you were lonely as a child. You my dear, were not lonely!
Joanne.P

Anonymous said...

you brighten my day. I love your stories and the way you feel about your Dad and me. We will always be there for you. Keep writing!!!!
Love Mom

JC said...

Before marriage, Andrea did share beds with us girls willing (accept at Casa Duhart and I'm still not sure how she managed to pull that off!) probably because she knew the next night she'd be back at Casa Collins, in her own room with her day bed and television and with Joanie's assortment of hotel products in the bathroom!

Anonymous said...

So if you had the chance to go back in time and be an older sister instead of an only child would you?

ARGrogan said...

No, I would not change anything. Being an only child is part of who I am. I would say that if you can surround your child with other children, the "lonliness" part of being an only child is not an issue. Thanks for the comment!!