Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Dear Max ~ Month Two

Dear Max,
Yesterday you turned two months old, and you celebrated the morning by getting two needles shoved in to your chubby little thighs. Sorry about that. I was a little concerned about taking you to get these needles alone, when your daddy decided to leave work early and come with me. This is a huge deal for him, since just the week before he was at the doctor with you and another child in the next room was getting her shots. Apparently the sounds that came out of her made him ask the doctor if he was crucifying lambs in the next room. Turns out, at two months old you only cry for 10 seconds at the needles and then proceed to smile so brightly at the doctor afterwards, it was as if you were asking for more. When the needles went in I looked away from you, not wanting you to associate that kind of pain with my face. But I was there right away for the cuddles that followed. That's how I want you to think of me - the one to go to for the cuddles. You love to bury your face into the crook of my neck with force that makes my heart explode, and blow bubbles all over me.

You are smiling the greatest smiles that ever were smiled, and cooing at anyone who will listen! You love to play and sing Patty Cake and The Itsy Bitsy spider with me. Most importantly Max, you are sleeping up to SIX hours a night sometimes, only getting up to eat and go back to bed for another FOUR hours. That means your mommy gets between 8 & 9 hours (although interrupted) of sleep a night. That makes for a happy happy mommy. A few weeks ago we put you in your crib in your own room to sleep. Frankly, you are just too loud to be sleeping in our room and the bassinet you borrowed from your cousin Eilish, you were quickly outgrowing. I love to walk into your room in the morning to get you up so we can start our day. You are full of smiles and smell like morning - a mixture of sleep and a scent of lavender. It has quickly become my favorite part of the day.

I am getting more used to having another body in the house, and have been doing my best at this parenting thing, running on instinct and love. I still second guess my self sometimes - wondering if you are eating enough, sleeping too much, growing appropriately and if I'm generally screwing up royally. Your daddy always reassures me that everything is fine, and I push those doubts out of my head as quickly as they appear and move on with our day. This month we went for lunch with your two Grandmothers, swam for the first time in Lori's pool, had a shopping day with Jen, Eilish Nana nad Judes, and had you Christened. We go shopping and walking and visiting our family. We keep busy you and me, and I'm having a lot of fun with you.

When I was a little girl, both sets of my grandparents lived in Newfoundland and I only saw them in the summer and sometimes at Christmas. Until I was nine, part of the summer was spent with them and I can still remember all the things I loved about each of them, and the unique relationships we had together. I want you to know how lucky you are to have all of your grandparents together in one city, minutes from you at any time. The last two months would not have been what they were for me without your Nana & Poppy Collins. They have been a source of strength and comfort for me, along with my house cleaners, babysitters, personal shoppers and some days my saving grace. Your daddy works very hard all day, and comes home to you all smiles and ready for diaper changes, feedings and bath time - but during the day I count on my mom for so much more than I imagined. I only hope that I can provide for my kids the way they have, and still, provide so much for me. Max, sometimes you need to ask for help, and your daddy and I will be there to give it to you no matter what you need - because there were so many people there for us.

Love you loads,
Mommy

2 comments:

Nana said...

Please pass the Kleenex; it's been a joy to be with you and Max and to be able to help you with this new chapter in your life. You were born to be a Mommy; you are doing such a good job. Enjoy your time with Max; he is growing so fast and I am just loving the coos and smiles. Love you all very much.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful letter, Andrea! I can't wait to hear the coo's and see the smiles. He really is gorgeous! Love Aunt Lib