Friday, December 22, 2006

2006...

2006 was a big year for the Collins/Grogan families. A recap of the year seems suitable, as we usher in 2007 and wish all of our friends, familiy members and readers of this blog (who are friends and family members!) a healthy happy holiday season and the very best in the new year.

January: Dad's first month of retirement. Mom was still sick from the "God Damn C-Diff" (can't you hear her say it?), and I bought my wedding dress. We also put in our offer for the house on Hillsborough and couldn't believe we were that grown up!

February: Wedding plans are in high gear - started the guest list (can it just be a small wedding, just family? Sure, how's 235 of them?), and American Idol had a grey haired contestent who would "never make it".

March: Stag and Doe Time!! And oh what a time it was!! We saw people we hadn't seen since graduating hiGh school, and a few people were there I've known since the first day of kindergarten. Jen, Joanne and Jill make their first foray into "Bridesmaid Duties" and do a fabulous job in the process. 5 days later we move into our house and Patch pees in almost every room - I think he thought we were leaving him there and going back to William Street.

April - We are getting used to bills on the new house, and Patch is no longer peeing - he got fixed. April brought about bridesmaid dresses, flower arrangements and appointments galore. I am offically wishing I had a smaller family...but only for a moment until I remember that I actually like my family.

May - the first anniversary of the missing finger. Paul locks himself in a room and doesn't want to celebrate his birthday. I put on a birthday hat and dance around with cake. He gives in. Mom's birthday, Mother's day. Mom gets the results of her tests and the node is small, she is on the mend! We book our honeymoon to NYC and start talking like DeNiro.

June - Invitations are in the mail, I am for sure getting married. It's all a bit overwhelming as it all comes together. It's all gone so well...scary. My showers were this month and my bitchin bachelorette party. Mohini got drunk and her husband was mad. I completed the list, went home and had myself a cup of tea on the deck at home with my bitches and the Buchans Boys. Yes, I am 103 years old. Tea. Dad leaves for Newfoundland for WAY too long, and mom helps me with everything wedding related. Even though all she wants to do is retire!!

July - One more bridal thing...a BBQ at Joanne's, swimming with Eric, smoking too much and an unexpected guest...Jen is pregnant and doesn't know yet..or did she? She tries to keep it under her shirt for a minute...until her housewarming where she tells everyone. Thrilling! Dad comes back from Newfoundland, and promises to not be gone so long again. Turns out, mom misses him. Who knew?

August - Well, this was my favorite month of the year! I got married, finally visited NYC, all my family members were here, Paul's brother and his kids are in from Ireland....did I mention I got married? Paul cried when John went home, I cried when I realized it was all over. Eric turned one this month too! I try not to squeeze the shit out of him when I go over there. It's hard!

September - returned from NYC on my 27th birthday to a banner and birthday gifts. Best homecoming ever! We looked at the presents and went to bed for the weekend. Back to work...yuck. Wedding pictures are flowing thorugh my e-mail like crazy! Everyone's talking about it and we are so happy it hurts my heart sometimes. My company launches a new product and I am the offical trainer for the department. My head explodes.

October - Offical name change at work. Weird. Paul starts school, paid for since the injury left him unable to do his previous job. Saves us $80000.00 Always good news.
Still training the new product and my head exploded 17 times since October. I went to see the Dixie Chicks and watched Baby Connell grow more and more. Joanne P's birthday is here, and she found the blog. Word's out, and I'm glad I can share my thoughts with those I love.

November - Paul passes all his final tests, and all is well for the Grogans. Patch has made a trail in the backyard from chasing an invisible rabbit. Mom gets her six month check up and feels good about it. Fingers crossed. Annual Lane's Christmas Shopping Extravaganza is extra special because mom gets to come, and the amount of bags in the car on the way home is scary.

December - Shop, shop, spend, spend seems to be the theme. Jen is growing something in her belly, and I can't wait to have 4 days off IN A ROW of over Christmas.
The tree is up, lights are up, and we are doing dinner at our place. Scary, but kind of fun...We'll see! Lots of plans for Christmas, every day somewhere to go, someone to see. We count our blessings every night for family and friends that love us and a healthy happy family.

MERRY CHRISTMAS! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love reading your thoughts!!!

Love you lots
Mom